Frequently Asked Questions

When you are working as a foodora rider, it is your own insurance that covers in the event of an accident.
If any of your equipment has been damaged in connection with the accident and you want to continue as a rider, then you are of course welcome to let us know, then we can send new equipment to you.
We hope you get well soon.

When you work as a foodora rider, you are a freelancer, so it is your own insurance that must cover you in the event of an accident.

We highly recommend that you have insurance as you work out in traffic.
Contact your insurance company and find out what options you have.

If you have an accident while riding a session, you must contact our dispatchers via the app. They guide you through the process – step by step.

Then contact your insurance company if your means of transport is damaged or you need help yourself.